Sunday, January 12, 2014

In honor of Alice.

Last week wasn't the greatest. My sweet Aunt Alice battled ovarian cancer for five years and she passed away early Monday morning.  I had hoped to go see her Monday afternoon, but she just didn't hang on that long. A friend of mine was so encouraging this week by saying, "God knew your heart. Perhaps he didn't want your last moments with her when she was suffering. Remember all of the lovely times you had together instead."  What an uplifting thought. She's right, you know. For I turn into somewhat of a basket case in situations as these.  Had I made it there on Monday, I would've been a hot mess. 


Aunt Alice. She was so beautiful inside and out. 

We grew up going to "Aunt Alice and Uncle Randy's" often. They lived on the lake on a houseboat. A floating house. On the lake. What's more fun than that?!  They had jet skis, paddle boats, canoes, water bicycles, and the list goes on. I had many birthday parties there. My cousins and I used to play barbies for hours at that house. I learned how to do a flip off the roof into the lake too. One summer, my aunt paid me to come and dust all of Uncle Randy's memorabilia/model cars/figurines. He had so many that the top of every cabinet was full of his stuff. Aunt Alice is the one that taught me how to paddle in a canoe. She taught me that in the summer, there was no need for a shower. A quick dip in the lake with a bar of soap and bottle of shampoo would suffice. 

They later moved on from the lake house to a house in Knoxville. Of course, they still had a pool. One must be able to catch some rays somehow, right?  I have many fond memories of enjoying time by the pool with her, family, and friends. They later moved to another house out in Corryton. The house in which she and my uncle cared for my sweet grandmother until she passed away. Alice was a hospice nurse by day, then came home to care for my grandmother daily once she couldn't live on her own in her apartment anymore. She was so selfless. I think what resounds the most are the afternoons and evenings I spent with my grandmother over there until Alice would come home. We would share meals together often, laughing and playing cards until my uncle came home from work. She also was generous enough to host a wedding shower for me at her home a few years ago.  And somehow, no matter what the occasion, there was some kind of ice cream in the freezer. 

Alice was a fighter. She loved life. She was a busy-body.  She was active. She was a grandmother.  A mother. An aunt. A wife. She taught me what marriage looked like. She was compassionate. She was spunky. She was late often. She was a bad driver (like me, according to Brandon). She was fun. Charismatic. Caring. A sister in Christ. She took in her patients' animals when they passed away. One was a blind poodle. Another time she took in two ferrel cats. Whenever she was around, everyone was sure to have a good laugh and see her smiling. 

I'm going to be completely honest. This week has sucked. I've been in the ugliest of moods.  Not only did my aunt pass away, but I have a few friends dealing with their own struggles and hurting too. Haley moved out to Mascot too, so until they're back in Knoxville, being able to hang out will be much more difficult. Thankfully, my sweet husband has been there everyday for me. I don't deserve him. I really don't. We have been through so much together. Although we've been married a year and a half, we've been together for almost a decade. We've been through several family and friends' deaths. New life. Dad's stroke. Remodeling a house. Wedded bliss. Crazy new puppy antics. Vacations. The list goes on.  And through it all, I cannot think of a single person I'd rather do life with. He's absolutely amazing. For better or for worse.  In sickness and in health. Til death do us part. 


Wearing blue, in honor of Aunt Alice's battle with ovarian cancer. I love him. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment