Sunday, March 9, 2014

The one about my momma.

I heard the phrase, "rest in Him" often as a child. Growing up in the church, I think I often knew what sayings/teachings meant, but didn't always do a good job applying those lessons to my heart or soul. Don't get me wrong, I had a really wonderful upbringing, a very strong family whose faith was unshakable, and a loving church family. Looking back, I just hadn't quite applied those teachings to my heart.  I'm here to share with you what I've learned. 

We are encouraged to have peace, kindness, forgiveness, compassion, and love in our hearts as Christians. We are also taught as wives to be godly women who serve our husbands. I know that people talk about the Proverbs 31 woman often, but I'm going to pull a few verses from there today anyways.  They're just too good not to share. A specific woman comes to mind when I think about this, and she'd never want this kind of attention because she's not an attention-seeking person at all.  She's a servant, a mother, a daughter, a friend, a wife, and so much more.  Who might I be talking about?  Some of you may have already guessed. She's my mom. 

Let's get to know Miss Audrey. She's a home health nurse. She takes care of my father (he had a stroke a few years ago and is doing MUCH better, but still needs a little extra help).  She's a volunteer. She's a mom to seven children (4 of her own, a son and daughter-in-law, and her new dog Wylie).  She  likes to take walks to get her exercise.  She'd rather shop for others than for herself. She and dad like to have date nights often to the movies, restaurants, museums, you name it. They love spending time together. She's a hard, diligent worker.  She's a LADY. She taught me how to be domestic. She loves her life and is a God-fearing woman. She's a great example to me for the kind of wife and mother I would love to become. Here's a few verses to describe her. 

"An excellent wife who can find?  She is worth far more precious than jewels. The heart of her husband trusts in her, and he will have no lack of gain. She does him good and not harm, all the days of her life."
Proverbs 31:10-12

Y'all.  My mom is amazing. She and my daddy love each other so much and I am so very thankful for their strong example of what an amazing marriage looks like. 

"...Her lamp does not go out at night."  
Proverbs 31:18

She comes home after a long workday and takes care of my father's needs. I've never heard her complain ONCE. She's taken this life God has given her and is using it to glorify Him.  She's simply amazing. 

"She opens her hand to the poor and reaches her hands out to the needy."
Proverbs 31:20

She would help anybody in need. I have so many memories of her helping others:  whether it was the family that needed beds for their kids to sleep in, the woman who needed a ride on Christmas Eve, or someone in the hospital that just needed a visit to cheer them up. 

"Strength and dignity are her clothing, and she laughs at the time to come. She opens her mouth with wisdom, and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue."
Proverbs 31:25-26

She is the strongest woman I know. When my dad was really sick, she just pressed on. She'd work during the day and visit the hospital every night and sometimes during the day between her patients.  She was faithful and knew that God always has a plan.  I've never met a kinder soul. She's a good one.  

"Give her the fruit of her hands, and let her works praise her in the gates."
Proverbs 31:31

I'm here to tell you. She has lots of treasures stored up in heaven.  She is amazing. I love her so much and am so grateful to call her my mother. She truly is a remarkable woman and an amazing role model. 

So, I now know how to "rest in Him". As I look back, I realize that I have had an amazing example of that kind of life in my mother. I've learned not to sweat the small stuff, to give it all to God, and to love life no matter what. I could go on and on about her, but I'll stop for now. 


Mom, Kaela, and me at Dollywood last year. 


Mom and dad at Kellen's high school graduation last year. 

Mom, dad, and grandma at Jared's college graduation last year. (2 kids graduating in one year, they're doing something right!)


All the fun ladies in our family: mom, me, Kaela, Aunt Kathy, and Grandma. Not pictured: Aunt Carolyn. Not sure how, but she managed to dodge the pic!  Every one of these ladies deserves their own blog post. Because they're all amazing women. 




Mom and I on my wedding day. She's the best. She's my role model. She's my mother. Love you mom!





No comments:

Post a Comment