Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Change a Life. Mentor a child.

I've had this post on my mind for awhile, but I knew my heart wasn't ready.  Now I'm ready to share one of my most favorite things I've been doing over the past few months. Mentoring a child. 

If you know me, you know I have a crazy big heart for kiddos.  If you don't, here's some background. I grew up watching my momma serve at church every chance possible in the children's ministry. Whether it was Sunday School, Vacation Bible School, or holding babies in the nursery, she was there. Following her lead, I grew up helping out with the kiddies too.  I also had 3 younger brothers that I would "babysit" (AKA boss around) when my parents had a much-needed date night. 

During college, I worked at Premier Athletics teaching gymnastics to kids ages 2-13. Sidenote-they have amazing programs. Get your kids in classes!  When I graduated, I took a job working at an elementary school as an interpreter. I always joked that if I didn't interpret, I would be a kindergarten teacher. (Except now I wouldn't because teachers have WAY too many evaluations, tests, and requirements to meet each year. School is a lot different than it used to be. But that's another story.)

Last February, I left my job at Knox County Schools to take a position as a video relay interpreter. Y'all. This was the first time in YEARS that my job didn't directly relate to children on a daily basis. I cried when I left Knox County on my last day. (Maybe that sounds dramatic, but I just love the children).  Long story short, I missed the kids and some work buddies, but nothing else from the old job. I LOVE my job now. 

EXCEPT. Something was missing.  I knew exactly what it was, too. The kids. The relationship you build. The fun. The silliness. Funny faces. Sticky fingers. Coloring. Joking. Playing.  Laughing. 

God put a crazy idea on my heart to join the Big Brothers Big Sisters program of Knoxville. It's a program where people volunteer to be a mentor to an underprivileged child. Here's a link if you want to learn more about it.  www.tennesseebig.org

I started the application process with some doubts. Is this REALLY what I want to do?  What if my kid doesn't like me?  What if I'm not the right match?  Y'all. These people who work at Big Bro Big Sis are AMAZING at what they do!  It took a few months, but I got matched with a little girl in August.  The first day I met her, we decided to go to a movie together. She'd never been to a movie theater in her life. Ever. It's so fun see her have new experiences. 

I want her to know it's about more than just spending money. It's about teaching her about life. About being a positive influence on this sweet girl that is oh-so-smart.  About emphasizing to her how important it is to get a good education. About showing her Jesus.  About telling her that she has a chance to grow up and live her dreams. 

Here's to the future and cherishing every moment I get to spend with this sweet child. If you're lucky, you may just get to meet her!  

Meet Haley. 


Dog park date!


TN Valley Fair!


100th Anniversary of Disney on Ice


What's Disney on Ice without cotton candy?


Until next time, consider signing up for Big Brother Big Sister.  Change a life. Mentor a child. 







No comments:

Post a Comment