Sunday, October 27, 2013

Fun Fall Festivities

It's fall. You know what that means. Fun outdoor activities, cool mornings, warm afternoons, leaves changing colors, and Halloween!  I've discovered that I have a child-like spirit when it comes to fall festivities. I love enjoying this season with my honey.  This is the first year we'll have Trick or Treaters and I AM SO PUMPED!!!  So if y'all have cute little goblins or ghouls, bring 'em to my house so I can spoil them rotten!

This weekend we got to finally go out on a date for dinner. So much fun!  Sometimes life just gets so crazy that it's hard to have some time for just Brandon and myself. It was so nice to be able to go out and enjoy each other's company. 


At a family member's birthday dinner a few weeks ago.

We also got to see some friends and I took Haley to Boo at the Zoo. My grandma made my costume for me to wear. She's so crafty!  I love it!  I so wish I had her sewing skills. She MADE my skirt!  No pattern. Just an idea of what I liked. She's the best. 


Minnie Mouse and the Pumpkin Vampire Pirate after a fun night at Boo at the Zoo. Yup-that skirt is a Grandma Jo original!


Haley (bottom right) and her sisters at Boo at the Zoo

The other girls' big sisters and myself were crazy enough to take all 4 of the girls together!  Talk about madness!  There were three bigs and four littles. True life-I have no idea how my mother took all four of us kids out together often. Even more, I have NO clue how she and my aunt took all seven of us cousins ages 2-10 on adventures at least once a week. Y'all. Props to them. They took us to Dollywood and Splash Country like once a week when we were little!

One thing I've come to realize over the past few months is how amazingly blessed I was growing up. We did all kinds of things. My parents gave us a great upbringing in a stable home. How often I forget that many children do not have that privilege. These past few months with Haley have been a BLAST and I am so blessed to have the opportunity to be her Big Sister. It is always so fun to take her on new outings and have new experiences together. It's even more fun to see how our relationship is being molded and seeing the sweet little girl she's blossoming into.

Another thing I've learned recently is that we are called not only to be servants, but that our heart must be right.  I'll admit, sometimes I have an ugly attitude. Maybe I had a long day at work or I'm not feeling the best about myself because my clothes are a little snug due to my unruly sweet tooth. But here's what I've learned:  if I can change my attitude into a positive, grateful attitude, it changes not only my day, but everyone else's days around me.  Take time to listen to God. If you're having a crazy day, stop for a moment of prayer amidst the chaos. You'll be amazed at how your attitude will instantly change.  God knows your heart, so ask him for help with whatever it is that is troubling you. Ask him to show you how to do his will. That's how this whole Big Brother Big Sister adventure began!  I missed hanging out with kids and asked God to show me a way to get connected to a child. His answer was through this mentorship program. I'm here to tell you that Haley may be teaching me just as much if not more than what I've taught her!

"I take joy in doing your will, my God, for your instructions are written on my heart."  Psalm 40:8

I've also been studying, studying, and, you guessed it, STUDYING recently for my big interpreting certification test. It's on Friday at 3:30. These have probably been the CRAZIEST and BUSIEST weeks I've had I awhile, but I have this amazing peace that God is in control. I have a background story about my journey to becoming a certified interpreter, but I'm saving it til I can write that blog post saying, "I PASSED!!" and tell the rest of the story.  Stay tuned for that. Hopefully I get the results sooner than later!  In the meantime for those of you wondering what God's will is in your life right now, be encouraged by this verse. 

"For it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure."  Philippians 2:13

God has a plan. Sometimes we don't understand or don't want to follow His lead, but ultimately, He's got our best interests at heart. He knows our every need and every desire. Listen to him and he'll guide you to do his will. 

No comments:

Post a Comment